Simple Jamaican Potato Salad
This salad is a Jamaican favourite for Sunday Dinner. Rice & Peas with Fry Chicken is just not complete without it.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pimento grounded
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 bacon slices, chopped (optional)
- 3 lb Irish potatoes, peeled
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Grace, Tabasco)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- Cook Irish potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain and cool. Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer to large bowl.
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain.
- Mix mayonnaise, chopped thyme, pimento and cayenne pepper in medium bowl.
- Separate egg yolks and whites.
- Mash yolks in small bowl. Mince egg whites.
- Add bacon, mayonnaise mixture, yolks, whites, onion and hot pepper sauce to potatoes in bowl and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parsley. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)