Okra and Saltfish
Okra and Saltfish is easy and delicious! If you like the ingredients in the name, you'll love the dish.
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 lb okra
- 1/2 lb Saltfish (dried, salted codfish)
- 1/2 cotch Bonnet
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 chopped tomato
- 6 Slices of bacon
- 4 Scallion (or spring onions)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Cover the saltfish in cold water. Let soak overnight (minimum 8 hours) changing the water several times (this removes most of the salt)
- Bring a pan of cold water to the boil and gently simmer the fish for 20 minutes (until the fish is tender).
- Chop the onion, sweet pepper, chilli pepper, okra and tomato whilst you're waiting for the fish to cook.
- Remove the fish from water and allow to cool.
- Remove all of bones and skin then flake the flesh of the fish.
- Serve with yam, green banana, fried dumplings and Irish potato.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion, black pepper, sweet pepper, chilli, okra, thyme and half a cup of water. Cover and steam for about 20 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and flaked fish and steam for another 10 minutes.