Also known as Jonngy Cake by some, is regular on the breakfast menue in Jamaican household, it can be server with just about anything. A simple way to get your day started.
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 3/4 cup Cold water
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter or margarine
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Salt (if using salted butter or margarine use 1/2 tsp salt)
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl
- Blend butter into dry ingredients with hands or mixer until crumbly
- Add water, a little at a time, to dry ingredients until dough holds together (you may not need all the water). Sprinkle with more flour if dough is too wet.
- Knead dough until smooth; do not over knead. Place in fridge for 15 minutes
- Shape dough into 8 small balls (enough to fit in palm)
- Pour cooking oil into frying pan and set stove to Medium High
- Place dumplings into pan; oil should be sizzling
- As each side browns continually turn dumplings until all sides are brown (each side takes about 3 to 6 minutes turn them about 5 times)
Question: How do you know they’re cooked inside?
Answer: When you tap the dumplings in the pan they should sound hollow