Red Peas Soup
Red Peas Soup is easy and delicious! If you like the ingredients in the name, you'll love the dish.
- 1 pound fresh pig's tail and/or salt beef
- 1 pound red kidney peas (red beans)
- 3 Seeds pimento
- 1/2 pocket cock soup mix small piece pumpkin
- 6 litres water (maybe more)
- 1 medium size carrot
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 stalks scallion
- 1 pound yellow yam (peeled, washed, sliced)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (peeled, washed, sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small Irish potatoes
- 1 medium size green scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 sprig fresh green thyme
- 2 sachet coconut milk powder or use this method
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- Soak the Red Peas and the pig's tail or salt beef overnight.
- Pour water into a large pot, add red peas, garlic, pimento seeds and pig’s tail cover pot and bring to boil until peas and pig’s tail is softened or cooked.
- Peel Irish potatoes, carrot and pumpkin, wash then diced them.
- Cover pot and allow vegetables to cook. prepare the dough with the flour in the meantime.
- Peel sweet potatoes and yellow yam
- Wash, slice or chunk then add to pot.
- Add coconut milk to pot, cover and allow to shimmer for twenty minutes. Add dumplings to pot (make them small) then add cock soup mix. Stir and shimmer for ten minutes.
- Wash scallion, thyme and pepper, then add to pot.
- Cover pot and continue to shimmer over moderate to low flame, stir every three minutes until soup becomes thick. add salt to taste.